QuickBooks Training Post:
10 Core Reasons to upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise 2016:
- The principal reason why you should upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise is that the database is designed for larger data files than what Pro and Premier can handle. You can surpass the recommended limit of 250mb for a company file and still work securely. In addition, QuickBooks Pro or Premier has a limit of 14,500 records in lists, such as items and customers.
- QuickBooks Enterprise was built with Windows terminal services (remote desktop service built-in Windows Servers Operating Systems) in mind, meaning that it will work optimally with multiple users connected to the same Windows Server, whether locally or remotely.
- QuickBooks Enterprise has been optimized to work in a local area network (for multiple users); hence, it works faster and is more stable than QuickBooks Desktop when working with multiple, simultaneous users. Also, QuickBooks Enterprise can have up to 30 users, Pro is limited to 3 and Premier Limited to 5.
- QuickBooks Enterprise can have up to 15 custom item fields and 12 custom name fields, whereas Pro and Premier are limited to 5 and 7, respectively. Additionally, in Enterprise the custom fields can be set with input specifications, and even drop down menus. The additional custom fields are designed to capture even more data that can be used to search or filter on custom reports.
- Enterprise can search items within transactions, such as Purchase Orders and Invoices, needed for larger databases with lots of similarly named items
- Enterprise has the ability to add Advance Inventory and Advanced Pricing Features.
- Enterprise gives you the ability to set up roles and specific task-based user security access. QuickBooks Desktop has a very limited user-permission scheme.
- Another Enterprise feature is US-based technical support, and you can automatically upgrade to the latest versions available, with an active Full Service Plan.
- With Enterprise, you can consolidate reports from multiple QuickBooks files into one combined financial statement in Excel.
- QuickBooks Enterprise was a whole slew of new features added in the past 5 years.
Additional new features added from 2012 until 2016:
- FIFO Inventory Costing*: An alternative to the traditional (check out my article on Avg. Cost method at Intuit’s QuickBooks Accountant Blog).
- Enhanced Inventory Receiving: Separates the receiving process from the accounts payable process, which is great to maintain separation of the receipt date of inventory from the bill date.
- Serial or Lot Number Tracking*: You can now track individual inventory items by serial number or by lot number.
- Automatic Price Markup: You can configure the MARGIN or the MARKUP of an item to be fixed, and QuickBooks will automatically update the sales price if the cost changes.
- Find and Select Items: Very fast way to search for an item by name or description within a sales form, such as an Invoice.
- Automatic PO: Ability to create a Purchase Order automatically to stock up to recommended levels.
- Default Classes: Ability to automatically assign a class in transactions to a Name (Customer/Vendor/Employee), item or Account.
- Bin Location Tracking*: Inventory sub-locations within one location, allowing you to track inventory by bin number.
- Bar Code Scanning*: Basic functionality, allowing bar code scanning whenever selling or receiving inventory has been added.
- Sales Rep and Custom Fields in Vendor Transactions: Now, you can add a sales rep or custom field to checks, bills, and credit card charges.
- New Contractor Reports: New true WIP Summary Report, with percentage of completion calculation and Committed Costs by Job Report, as well as calculated costs of open purchase orders and timesheets assigned to jobs.
- New Assembly Features for Manufacturers: Ability to automatically build assemblies with subassemblies, quickly remove or replace discontinued components in an assembly, and the option to auto calculate cost of assembly items, based on Bill of Materials.
- Added Max reorder points to Auto PO: Instead of single reorder point, Auto PO feature suggests the quantity to order.
- Advanced Pricing*: Enterprise now adds Price Rules, which supersedes Price Levers, and also adds advanced pricing functionality, including expiring discounts, quantity discounts, and package conditional pricing.
- Disallow Negative Quantity on Items: This is a HUGE feature. For the first time, you can disallow users to sell (invoice or sales receipt) items that have less quantity than the amount being sold.
- Accompanying Negative Item Listing Report: With all the items that are currently on negative quantity on hand, it’s great to catch inventory errors.
- Shortage Report: List of all items needed, in order to build an assembly that falls short and is marked as pending. Also, there’s an Inventory Shortage Detail Report with all pending builds and items required to be able to completed the assembly.
- Report Filter enhancements: Ability to hide zero quantity on hand, and only show full assemblies on Inventory reports.
- Transaction Improvements: Subtotal on item quantities and custom fields, ability to sort by any column, print footer on last page only, and alternate gray lines available when printing/PDF transactions.
- Cost available on Sales Forms: This includes Sales orders, Invoices, and Sales Receipts, previously only available on Estimates.
- Hide opening balances on items and names: Option to disallow users from putting in this information, when creating new item, customers, or vendors.
- Disallow selling to overdue customers: Optional feature to prohibit users from creating invoices for customers that have at least one unpaid invoice that is aging beyond due date.
- Advanced Reporting: Fully customizable pivot-style advanced reporting within QuickBooks Enterprise.
- Batch Delete/Void Transactions: Now it is possible to delete checks, invoices, or bills in batch! Great for error correction.
- All Accountant Tools are now available in QuickBooks Enterprise: Batch Enter Transactions, Batch Reclassify Transactions, Client Data Review, Write-off Invoices
- Auto Copy Ship-To Address: This is great for companies converting Sales Orders to Purchase orders with DROP SHIP.
- Custom Field Filtering on Item Reports: Finally, you can use custom fields in inventory items as filters on reports. Great for creating Inventory categories without the need to use Subitems!
- Label Printer Support: You can now print labels on single roll continuous labels, instead of being limited to regular printers only.
- Enhanced Assembly Shortage Report: Great report to pinpoint inventory issues during the assembly process.
*Platinum Subscription required
My video explaining all features:
Source: Hector\’s QuickBooks Blog